Rise in garage fires Victoria wide

July 12, 2023 7:03 am in by

A surge in garage fires across the state has Victorian fire services encouraging residents to clean up their garage and consider installing smoke alarms inside.

Many of the reported garage fires in the last year were caused by faulty electrical equipment or related to fuel spills.

Mark Sinkinson from Fire Rescue Victoria says there’s been a massive rise in shed fires this year across Victoria.

Article continues after this ad

CFA Chief Officer Jason Heffernan said CFA firefighters have already responded to 26 garage fires this year compared to the 28 in total from last year.

“We’re expecting to see a rise in rechargeable battery and car fires this winter season.” CO Heffernan said.

A garage fire at a Mooroolbark home last month was a timely reminder about the importance of households inspecting their appliances, devices and vehicles regularly.

The Mooroolbark family escaped from their home after their refrigerator in their garage caught on fire due to an electrical fault that quickly enflamed the entire residence.

Fire Rescue Commissioner Gavin Freeman said the incident also calls for Victorians to check the condition of all electrical appliances in their garages.

Article continues after this ad

“Inspect the condition of your electrical items and if you notice any damage, ensure they are repaired by a certified tradesperson,” Commissioner Freeman said.

Using chargers with incorrect power delivery can cause damage or overheating that can lead to fires.

“Finally, keep all garages free of clutter, so that if an electrical item does catch alight the fire will be less likely to spread.”

Image: CFA Media